Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Jodie Foster comes out (again) at the Golden Globes

"Nim's Island" ("L'ile de Nim") French Premiere - Arrivals

Jodie Foster has come out… officially. She used the Golden Globes stage tonight to make the announcement after she accepted the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Award, concluding with a thank you to her ex-partner, Cydney Bernard, and praised their “modern family” before ending in tears, acknowledging a “new era” for herself.

She said:

    “I have the sudden urge to say something that I’ve never said in public… A declaration that i’m a little nervous about, but not quite as nervous as my publicist. I’m gonna put it out there, loud and proud. I’m going to need your support on this… I’m single.” The crowd burst into laughter, but she put all joking aside and continued, “I’m not going to do a big coming out speech tonight, because I already did my coming out a thousand years ago in the stone age… when a fragile young girl would come open up to trusted friends, family co-workers and gradually proudly to everyone who knew her.

    But now i’m told that every celebrity is expected to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, fragrance and a prime time reality show. You may be surprised, but I’m not Honey Boo Boo Child. But seriously, if you had been a public figure since the time you were a toddler, if you had to fight for a life that felt real, honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you too would value privacy above all else. Someone, we will look back and remember how beautiful it was. I have given everything up there from the time I was 3 years old. That’s reality show enough, don’t you think.”

Overall it was quite confusing, emotional moment. Peppered with humor and poignancy, she touched on privacy issues, retiring from acting and her sexuality.

Via Tabloid Prodigy

No comments:

Post a Comment